Quotes From The Movie K-Pax (2001) You Should Know
When it comes to movies regarding aliens, the majority of them involve an entire race seeking to destroy our own. Aside from that, we’ve had a few movies that focused on a single alien who had their own identity and shared with a human what they were and where they were from.
K-Pax (2001) was both a movie and a book about an alien visitor from the planet K-Pax who wished to see what the experience of being on Earth was like. Here a few quotes from Prot and other characters in the original book and movie.
Quotes From the movie K-Pax (2001)
1. “Education stems from a desire to learn. With that, you don’t need schools. Without it, all the schools in the UNIVERSE are useless.” – Gene Brewer, K-Pax (book)
Brewer indeed has a point about learning. Young children aren’t always willing or wanting to learn, which creates a problem for institutions meant to teach them. It should be the duty of any adult with a child in their care to instill the yearning for more knowledge. Otherwise, what would be the point of any elementary or college dotting the planet?
2. “Every being in the universe knows right from wrong, Mark.” –Prot
What Prot posits here is that each person on Earth (and across the universe) is completely aware that what they are doing knows when they commit atrocities. As a human, there are certain things we may do that make us feel ill or cause us to pass out. Some of us may get a ‘gut feeling’ about how wrong our actions are.
Perhaps not every notorious criminal or killer suffers from a mental condition.
3. “Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision But nobody’s paid much attention to them, not even your Buddhists and your Christians.” –Prot
Those who follow a religion can profess until the end of the Earth that their path is righteous. But are those ‘righteous’ individuals actually following the teachings that they claim are so dear to their heart?
In recent times, it has become less and less of a surprise when religious individuals resort to extremes.
If you found a path that works for you, stick with it regardless of others’ opinions. But you must also remember that the teachings may not be in the most literal sense.
4. “Why is a soap bubble round? Because it is the most energy-efficient configuration. Similarly, on your planet I look like you; on K-Pax I look like a K-PAXian.”
There is still much we don’t know about our universe and the other life that is likely in it. For all we know, other lifeforms have already settled on Earth. It would make sense that other being may have adapted to shape-shifting so that they could find themselves a peaceful home to reside in.
5. “Mental illness is often in the eye of the beholder. Too often on this PLANET it refers to those who think and act differently from the majority.” Gene Brewer, K-Pax
With all the current goings-on in the world, it is understandable that there would be more of a focus on mental illness. But the problem with focusing on it too much is some may be misdiagnosed for something they are completely capable of controlling.
Not every child has attention deficit disorder and not every mass shooter is ‘mentally ill.’
6. “He’s the most convincing delusional I’ve ever come across.” Mark Powell, K-Pax
There’s no doubt you’ve heard of the near countless stories of alien abduction. Most people believe anyone who claims to have been abducted is a nut job. But a handful of research has shown some of these people truly believe it happened.
In the history of Earth, there have been many accounts of abduction. They couldn’t all be delusional, right?
7. “Every mistake you make, you will live through again, and again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have.” Prot, K-Pax
The author proposes here what is known as the ‘hologram universe hypothesis.’ The idea suggests that the current universe we reside in no longer exists. It is nothing more than a hologram of a universe that existed before.
If that is true, then Déjà vu is more than simply feeling like we’ve done things once before.